If Christmas is not the season of overindulgence then we must live in a completely different universe. For us the phrase “go on, one more” is one that sounds very familiar! It’s also one we’d already started returning to in January. Oops…
Familiar sounding story? Fret not, all is not lost!
The good news is that in January most gyms run some sort of ‘exclusive’ and enticing New Year’s sign-up discount. The bad news is, everyone and their mum signs up – which means queuing for 10 minutes to hit the treadmill becomes the norm.
If you’re thinking the former and the latter sound like equally bad news, don’t worry as we have even BETTER news. News that doesn’t ask you to sign up to a gym or even stop eating! Intrigued? Read on..
New research suggests that an introduction of ‘Superfoods’ to your diet can keep you slim and trim. Superfoods – well known to be nutritional forces of nature – not only help maintain your weight, but also keep your mind sharp, prevent chronic diseases, improve eyesight and build bones.
Because we want you to be super in 2016, here are our Top 5 Superfoods, all very versatile and perfect for some super-tasty meals:
- Oats: This superfood is rich in fibre; one serving can help you feel full throughout the day. Just half a cup packs 4.6g of resistant starch, a healthy carb that boosts metabolism and burns fat.
- Turkey breast: This superfood has 20 grams of satisfying protein but just 90 calories per 3oz serving.
- Sweet potatoes: Half of a large baked sweet potato delivers more than 45% of your daily dose of vitamin A, which protects your vision and your immune system.
- Avocados: Filled with healthy fats, this superfood will keep you satisfied and help you absorb other nutrients for better digestion.
- Salmon: This lean source of protein helps you feel full without adding fat. Salmon is a superfood full of Omega 3, perfect for reducing cholesterol and strengthening cardiac muscles.
If you’re eager to give superfoods a try, take some inspiration from these:
- For ideas of what you can do with avocado, check out these recipes
- Super food from blogger supergoldenbakes with these cottage cheese, kale and smoked salmon frittatas
- Cleanses can be a bit daunting, but we love Mr & Mrs T Plus Three’s three-day cleanse
- Tuck into this Superfood salad from Jamie Oliver
- Out and about? How about a restaurant with limitless superfoods on the mend.
Do you have any ‘super’ tips or delicious recipes? We’d love to know!